The Monarch butterfly will take you to the Top of the Page!
(What's on this website.)
Learn about Fourpeaks? CLICK HERE to start.
Explore Fourpeaks 700-acre private Vacation/Getaway!
Learn about Fourpeaks? CLICK HERE to start.
  • Meet Your Host
  • 7 Backcountry Cabins
  • 4-Season Activities
  • Private hiking trails
  • Romantic getaway?
  • Pet-friendly vacation
  • Meet Our Guests!
  • Rental Rates/Prices
  • AvailabilityCalendar
    CLICK for a prompt detailed response to your vacation Inquiry.E-Z Inquiry Form
  • Email Us
  • Phone our Help Desk
  • Join our Mailing List
  • Maps & Directions
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Safety First!  and Guest Information
  • Adirondack Photos
  • Adirondack Poetry
  • An Adirondack Miscellany
  • Personal Potpourri
  • The Fourpeaks Story 1968-present
  • Select Link Pages
  • Your Adirondack Vacation: What's New!What's New!
  • CLICK for full size image. Poison Ivy.  Poison ivy is a small slightly woody plant that causes a red, itchy rash on the skin of persons who are allergic. The culprit behind the rash is a chemical in the sap of poison ivy plants called urushiol (oo-roo-shee-ohl). Poison Ivy Information for Guests Urushiol is the same substance that triggers an allergic reaction when people touch poison oak and poison sumac plants, all members of the same family -- Anacardiaceae. CLICK & GO!  (On this page.)    Fourpeaks Advisory.   Are you allergic?.   Poison Ivy Symptoms.   Poison Ivy Treatment.   More about Poison Ivy.   Is it Poison Ivy?   YOUR HOST IS HERE TO HELP!  

    Fourpeaks Advisory. Your Adirondack Guide is alert to tracking the location of Poison Ivy Plants. If you encounter these plants please tell Martin about it. We herbicide the plants seasonally wherever they appear around the cabins. They are however very hardy and difficult to eradicate altogether. They are mostly to be found in a very few sunny places, at field's edge or by a building. If you are allergic it is critical that you learn to identify the plants and avoid them. Notices appear in locations where they are known to persis. Ask Martin for help.

    Are you allergic? About 85 percent of people are allergic to the urushiol in poison ivy, according to the American Academy of Dermatology [ref]. Only a tiny amount of this chemical -- 1 billionth of a gram -- is enough to cause a rash in many people. Some people may boast that they've been exposed to poison ivy many times and have never gotten the rash, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're not allergic. Sometimes the allergy doesn't emerge until you've been exposed several times, and some people develop a rash after their very first exposure. It may take up to ten days for the rash to emerge the first time.

    Poison Ivy Symptoms. ­In ­the places where your skin has come into contact with poison ivy leaves or urushiol, within one to two days you'll develop a rash, which will usually itch, redden, burn, swell, and form blisters. The rash should go away within a week, but it can last longer. The severity of the reaction often has to do with how much urushiol you've touched. The rash may appear sooner in some parts of the body than in others, but it doesn't spread -- the urushiol simply absorbs into the skin at different rates in different parts of the body.

    Poison Ivy Rash. Poison Ivy Treatment. The quicker you treat poison ivy, the greater the odds that you can remove at least some of the urushiol before it gets into your skin, and you may be able to ward off a reaction. As soon as you notice that you've touched poison ivy:
    1.Rinse off your skin immediately with water. Rinsing within the first five minutes of contact is most effective.
    2.Remove all clothes that have come in contact with the plant and wash them with soap and water.
    3.Wash your skin with soap and cool water.
    4.Using a cotton ball, cleanse the affected areas of your skin with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

    Once the rash appears, you'll most likely be very itchy, but don't scratch. Although breaking the blisters by scratching can't spread the rash, the bacteria under your skin can cause an infection and leave scars. The rash should go away on its own within two weeks.

    Poison Ivy If you're in a lot of discomfort, you can use wet compresses or soak the affected areas in water. You can also apply a topical corticosteroid (over-the-counter brands such as Cortaid and Lanacort), or take an over-the-counter antihistamine (such as Benadryl) to relieve the itching. Prescription cortisone can stop the reaction, but only if it is taken soon after exposure. Other topical products that can soothe itching are calamine lotion, zinc oxide ointment, baking soda paste (3 teaspoons baking soda and 1 teaspoon water), or an oatmeal bath (Aveeno).    (For more about Poison Ivy, how to avoid and how to treat, visit www.science.howstuffworks.com/flowering-plants/poison-ivy.htm/printable the source for the above text.}

    .
    Is it Poison Ivy?
    Many plants look a lot like poison
    ivy, but aren't. Compare the real
    thing with some imposters:


    Poison ivy

    Box elder

    Virginia creeper

    More about Poison Ivy. POISON IVY (Toxicodendron radicans = Rhus radicans = Rhus toxicodendron)   Small, slightly woody plant, or shrubby, or vining. LEAVES ALTERNATE (= 1 leaf per node), TRIFOLIATE (= 3 leaflets), with pedicel (leafstalk) and the CENTRAL LEAFLET WITH PETIOLULE (= leaflet stalk). The lateral two leaflets are not distinctly stalked. Leaflets are a variety of shapes, but generally ovate or obovate (roughly apple-leaf shaped). Leaflets may be smooth-edged (entire), irregularly toothed, or shallowly lobed. Leaves of one variant look like small oak-leaves (but look again!). Leaves apple-green and shiny in the spring, deep green and often dusty in the summer, turning a glorious reddish orange in the fall. Flowers tiny, whitish, in clusters; fruits white berries in late summer or fall.

    Closest look-alike: Box-elder seedlings (Acer negundo), which has OPPOSITE, trifoliate leaves; the lateral two leaflets are often slightly stalked. Older box-elders generally have 5 leaflets per leaf.
    (For more like this, visit www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs/medi-2-7-poison-ivy.html the source for the above text.}

    Our most common native woody vine. All parts of the plant cause severe skin irritation in most people. Easily recognized since it's our only vine with 3-parted leaves. In winter, the disctinctively hairy roots adhering to tree trunks are a dead giveaway. Formerly called Rhus radicans. Quite ornamental in fall, when the leaves turn brilliant shades of red and orange. (For more like this, visit www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/tora.html the source for the above text.}


    Poison ivy. YOUR HOST IS HERE TO HELP!
    Poison Ivy Information for Guests Allergic to poison ivy? Tell Martin about it BEFORE you have a problem. Already have a rash that looks like poison ivy? See Martin right away for help in controlling the reaction!
    REMEMBER! Need Help? PHONE Martin 518-524-6726 or see him at CAMP BARN FIRST at ANY HOUR.